The crazy things people say

Jessica

• Replies 761
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had to make an emergency pit stop at a different grocery store and the only non-CAFO meat I could find was grass-fed beef in 1lb pre-wrapped packages. Obviously with huge health claims and stuff all over them.

Me: walks up to the checkout counter with my beef and other stuff.

Bagger: *picks up beef package* So what do normal cows eat?

...I can't believe factory farming is now "normal" and FEEDING A COW GRASS is something weird and remarkable.

At least they didn't say "No chalk." Or "No deadlifting". Both would rule it out for me.

True story: I visited my parents last week and went to my mom's gym to work out.

Me, to the trainer: Do you have rules about deadlifting here?

Him? What?

Me: Deadlifting. Is it allowed?

Him: Deadlifting?

Me: Deadlifting!

Me: *mimes a deadlift* deadlifting!

Him: Oh...uh...I guess not *wanders off to clean the cardio machines*

...sigh. At least if they don't know what it is they can't forbid it?

My husband had a discussion with a coworker this week and the price of milk came up. He buys his stateside (we're in Canada) to save money. My husband replied that we save money by not buying it at all. *insert coworker's jaw hitting floor* after my husband explained that we have gone dairy free, the coworker joked that he was going to call the Children's Aid Society because we are "depriving our children of calcium". :/

My husband had a discussion with a coworker this week and the price of milk came up. He buys his stateside (we're in Canada) to save money. My husband replied that we save money by not buying it at all. *insert coworker's jaw hitting floor* after my husband explained that we have gone dairy free, the coworker joked that he was going to call the Children's Aid Society because we are "depriving our children of calcium". :/

I've gotten this one before too...... People act like I'm abusing my child by not letting them have sugar, dairy, and grains.

I have a 16 month old and my grandma kept buying milk for her when she would watch her.

Me "Grandma I told you she doesn't drink milk"

Grandma "I've never heard of such a thing!"

I'm studying to be a registered dietician, so bowel movements are an every day normal conversation between me and my friends.

My favorite question has been when they ask "But how do you get fiber?? You need whole grains, you must be so constipated!!!"

To which I respond "I've never felt so regular and normal in all my life!" Hello, vegetables?? Oh goodness...

True story: I visited my parents last week and went to my mom's gym to work out.

Me, to the trainer: Do you have rules about deadlifting here?

Him? What?

Me: Deadlifting. Is it allowed?

Me: Deadlifting!

Me: *mimes a deadlift* deadlifting!

Him: Oh...uh...I guess not *wanders off to clean the cardio machines*

...sigh. At least if they don't know what it is they can't forbid it?

Are there seriously gyms like this?! Like for real?

Are there seriously gyms like this?! Like for real?

That forbid deadlifting? Absolutely. Every Planet Fitness. Deadlifting will set off the lunk alarm every time.

Some managers may be better than others, but as a company policy...no deadlifts

"You HAVE to treat yourself, you deserve it"

Are you telling me I should put something into my body that is going to wreak havoc and I deserve the imminent sickness that will follow? Thank you...? :huh:

Ari - that happened to me this week. I gave in (not on a W30) and had the gluten. The stomach ache the rest of the day was awful. Learned that lesson 3 times this last week...guess I'm a glutton for punishment or for really making sure I'm not imagining things.

Friend (who's a dietician): "I thought you were done with the food avoiding? I can't keep up with you."

Um, I haven't eaten sugar in about 6 months, and I've told you that the elimination diet highlighted that I was gluten and dairy intolerant, so I'm pretty much Paleo now... And I never asked you to "keep up".

Can anyone explain to me why my co-workers think I don't eat real food? I don't bring these comments on. They come to me. Today I was digging around in my drawer of food in the fridge and one of my bosses came by and said "Is that whole drawer full of your food?".

Me: "yes it is".

Him: "what have you got in there?"

Me: Ground Beef & Cabbage, homemade mayo, an avocado, homemade soup, some vegetable salad...."

Him: "don't you have anything EDIBLE in there??!"

sigh...

My MIL knows both my parents had cancer, my mum and sister have diabetes, that I have lots of food intolerances and allergies and have had lots of health problems, but still can't help herself from commenting now every mealtime we are together that "I am always so good now" for choosing to eat real food! Hello? Should I choose food that makes me sick instead?? Grrrrrrr

My DH has been somewhat interested in my W30 although he is not participating.

Me: It has been tough getting used to not drinking soda, but it is worth it

DH: Yeah ... I'm thinking of not drinking so much soda

Me: That would be great!

DH: Maybe I'll start drinking more milk

Me: Okay ...

DH: But could you buy the chocolate or strawberry syrup so it tastes better?

:huh:

As someone whose mother only allowed to drink water at home (other than 1 glass of orange juice with breakfast), people who need to drink flavors confuse me. If my drink has a flavor when I don't expect it to, I'm mad!

A friend is doing a paleo until her trip to Barcelona thing right now, although she isn't totally compliant (she's doing it with her weight-lifting partner, who's going with her). The best comment she's had lately?

"Bacon in a bag as a snack is the only thing getting me through my days."

Um, yes, please?

As someone whose mother only allowed to drink water at home (other than 1 glass of orange juice with breakfast), people who need to drink flavors confuse me. If my drink has a flavor when I don't expect it to, I'm mad!

A friend is doing a paleo until her trip to Barcelona thing right now, although she isn't totally compliant (she's doing it with her weight-lifting partner, who's going with her). The best comment she's had lately?

"Bacon in a bag as a snack is the only thing getting me through my days."

Um, yes, please?

Bacon in a bag...what a lovely concept. :0)

You know, I was reading this the other day and I felt a bit embarrassed - I don't want to act like I'm better than everyone else just because I've eliminated things from my diet. I don't want to look at what other people are eating (just like I don't want them to look at what I'm eating) and judge them. Everyone has their own journey, I thought!

Then my sister asked me if the reason my boyfriend (who is on whole30 with me) has a bit of a cold is 'because he's not getting enough of something?'. Uh, no. Pretty sure we're eating more nutrient-rich food than we ever before.

Then asked me at least three times if I've lost weight. Well, yes, and I'm happy about it, but that's not the point.

My almost 16 year old daughter is along for this Whole 30 with me. She has been an amazing help prepping food,whipping meals together,etc.

She was in her bedroom and was about to light a really nice smelling Yankee Candle that she got for herself last month when we visited the outlet store. I walked by her room and saw her standing there, confused. She said " I just for a second thought I could not light this because it wasn't paleo".

It was a vanilla cupcake scented candle... :lol:

My almost 16 year old daughter is along for this Whole 30 with me. She has been an amazing help prepping food,whipping meals together,etc.

She was in her bedroom and was about to light a really nice smelling Yankee Candle that she got for herself last month when we visited the outlet store. I walked by her room and saw her standing there, confused. She said " I just for a second thought I could not light this because it wasn't paleo".

It was a vanilla cupcake scented candle...

That is the cutest thing EVER.

That forbid deadlifting? Absolutely. Every Planet Fitness. Deadlifting will set off the lunk alarm every time.

Some managers may be better than others, but as a company policy...no deadlifts

I got " lunked" for doing burpees!!!!!! I guess I was disturbing the five people In a a 20,000 sq ft facility!!!!

I got " lunked" for doing burpees!!!!!! I guess I was disturbing the five people In a a 20,000 sq ft facility!!!!

But if you can't exercise in a gym, what CAN you do there?! Oh, is it where you go to primp and flex your muscles while perving on yourself in the mirror?

Archived