whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

Oh I hear you. It looks like nowadays you have three options: starve and be super skinny-as-that-model, be insanely strong with every muscle defined and lift an elephant with your pinkie or be miserable/unhealthy/posting hashtags #fatkidsproblem #letsgetfat with piles of candy and buckets slushies. 

Health is awesome. Thighs are awesome. And Mary is pretty darn awesome too. 

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ah, so nice to have Nadia visiting my log  :wub: . words of wisdom as always. Where is that healthy role model I seek? Everytime I think I find one they go and post stuff about cellulite or "big legs" or whatever, and it doesn't matter if they are saying it is bad or saying they have "evolved" and they are "ok" with it now, I just wonder why we are focusing on this bs in the first place. Loving the fitness dudes I follow now, though: just guys doing gymnastics tricks and never saying a word about how their bodies look.  :)

-decided spontaneously (yesterday) to take today and Monday off, so it will be gym time and shopping without crowds and cleaning my place and maybe even an extra yoga class this afternoon. bliss.

another day off. so bizarre. I kind of don't know what to go with myself. determined to stay off the computer for at least part of the day...will see Max this afternoon, and hopefully repeat my pull-up for posterity  :)

Yesterday was my Dad's 75th birthday, so I had everyone over for roasted chicken, roasted potatoes (shh), roasted carrots, massaged kale salad w/dried (apple juice sweetened) cranberries, red onion, ume plum vinegar, olive oil. Gluten-free Angel Food cake from the co-op with strawberries for dessert. Everyone seemed happy with the food, even the kale (!) although my 11-yr old nephew picked out all the cranberries and left those in a little pile on the plate. We all found it pretty amusing that he liked the kale and not the cranberries. 

Dad reports that he is going back to the 21-day sugar detox because squeeky clean paleo "didn't work"  :rolleyes: . Um, you lost 8lbs on 21DSD because you started it after months of terrible eating. You didn't lose as much on squeeky clean paleo because you started that after the easy water-weight was already gone. How can a grown man not understand this? I went into my "find a lifestyle that works for you long-term, none of this should be a diet" spiel which sounds to them like a broken record at this point. and I'm counting on my mom to steer the ship since she feels good and likes the food. That's the best I can do.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still here. Having a lonely evening in Buffalo, NY (work trip, collegue flew home tonight, I'm staying for more meetings tomorrow). Feeling good except my skin is FREAKING OUT, which is making me a little crazy. First weird, never-before-seen breakouts on my chin and jawline 2 weeks or so ago, that are healing now, mostly, but new breakout on my upper lip and weird rashy/swollen red cheeks and nose. My skin feels really hot/tight/inflammed. I can only assume that it is a combination of stress, resturant food, hotel sheets, who knows what. I'm doing the best I can, but you can't really control oils and ingredients when you eat out, not as well as cooking at home...oh and maybe just maybe possibly my skin is reacting to me washing it too much and trying different ointments and potions to fix it super fast? and wearing more makeup than usual to cover it up? Probably. sigh.

And so it goes. 

Body feels good. Trying to decide if I should take a yoga workshop (4-weeks of arm balance intensive co-taught by one instructor I love with another teacher I find annoying. thoughts?) that starts Sunday. Trying to decide if I should do tumbling or circus arts or aparatus or parkour this summer. All fun stuff, better without a weird hot face rash, but fun.  :)  :unsure:  :wacko: (where is the pathetic whiny smilley when you need it?) ugh!

• Moderators

So sorry to hear about your skin, MM. That's awful. I hope it clears and that you can find and prevent the culprit in the future. It does sound like it might be hormonal+stress. But skin stuff is so tough because there are so damn many variables, as you've noted. Ugh.

As for the yoga . . . how annoying is annoying? If s/he drives you totally irreparably nuts, I would say give that workshop a pass. If you think there's the slightest chance that by committing to the four weeks you might find something to love about the offending teacher while also passionately loving the teaching by your beloved teacher, then give it a shot. Four weeks isn't interminable and you might gain more than you realize. (Though I'm a total yoga snob and would never sign up for a workshop in which half was taught by an instructor I found incompetent or had a grating voice, for example.) Let us know what you decide to do.

feeling much more optimistic and happy after a long thoracic spine opening sequence in the hotel gym this morning (in the company of 5 or 6 older gentlemen, all reading the paper while trodding along on cardio equipment). I believe the yoga workshop is a mentoring situation, where my beloved teacher brings the annoying one into the light. She was mostly inexperienced, the one time I took her class, but said some jarring things....I can't remember now but not the mindset I like for yoga. I should support her efforts to learn and improve, yes.

CIRCUS!! :wub:  :wub: lol Nadia.

Notice how I didn't put any punctuation between circus and hell? Yeah that. I seriously think that you would love it and be great at it. There are so many different circus arts, I am sure you can find something for you. Especially since the chin up is conquered! 

Weird and wild: I think I might have the whole30 timeline completely off. 1.75 years after day one I had my first cheating food dream.  :)  I was eating a huge foam takeout container filled with french fries. for breakfast. and this woman who was supposed to be my new trainer came and saw this and said something super judgy assuming this is how I eat all the time and I went OFF on her.  :blink: In my dream. I basically read this lady the riot act that she doesn't get to judge my food intake, so if she wanted to continue training me there would be a zero tolerance policy on those kinds of comments. I wonder what that was about?

Spent most of the day volunterring yesterday (cooked/served breakfast, came back for my usual snack+child care). In between I happened upon a "floating" yoga workshop, which I took. It was only 90 minutes but I thought it was going to be floating transitions (which I can do, but could improve), but it turned out it was inversions and arm balances also. SO now I'm kind of sore and fatigued for the "real" arm balances workshop which starts today (two hours, once-a-week for four weeks). Oh well. I learned that I can do scorpion, which I never really tried before. I can not, however, do peacock. not yet.  ;)

• Moderators

Ha! That is weird and wild. My one food nightmare this time around was for shitty cold fries in styrofoam, too--nothing I'd ever long for in actual life! The rest of your dream sounds like you, though. ;)

I had a peacock revelation last week. It has notoriously been the only yoga pose I hated (because I couldn't do it), and whenever it would come up in class I would become angry, frustrated, and very separate from my calm yogini self. So last week, I asked for help. A big part of the problem is my DDs (they're generally not otherwise a problem in my book, but for this pose, yes) and my inability to scoop my elbows up underneath them. Here's what worked: I used a strap to bind my elbows together (underneath my breasts) and I could balance like that happily. I don't know if the boobage is part of your obstacle or not in that pose, but I thought I'd share my happy success just in case it could help!

I hope the four-week class goes well and that your sore arms don't give out on you today!

A big part of the problem is my DDs 

Ha. yes, the girls could be somewhat at fault. I think also this teacher was teaching a slightly different version of the pose than I have understood it to be in the past? I was distracted by this. We did use the strap around the arms, and I was aloft for a few seconds a few times, but never got my legs fully extended out. Good job LadyM! That one is fierce.  :)

well hello there. chugging along. work is insane, and not getting better anytime soon (I was given a second project, which I said I could do with additional staffing for project #1 + appropriate staffing for project #2. of course I got the project and not the staffing). Yoga workshop went well and I plugged some practice time for more inversions and arm balances into one of my mobility/recovery days this week, followed by sore abs the next morning. Is it wrong that my response wasnt "ouch" but more "rock on! cool!". -love it when I can tell I'm getting stronger.

onward.

• 3 weeks later...

pugging along. interesting realization yesterday: I made an appointment with Max, just because that's what I do. I see Max once per month, rain or shine regardless of what's going on, and I'm telling him about how nuts work has been and he listens to me and he asks: 1) so, are you not getting your workouts in as planned anymore? me, no, of course I'm still doing it, I just don't feel like I have the luxury of lingering, I get in and get it done though. 2) how is your eating, still doing your whole30-style food and cooking everything yourself? me: OF COURSE! are you crazy? I can't afford to feel like crap when work is this insane! 

SO, it turns out the lifestyle habits that I have established are what I lean on to help cope with stress when life gets crazy. It doesn't fall apart, I lean on them even harder. good. Then I went to my volunteer gig and played on the monkey bars and did foot races with the kids and this morning I went to an early yoga class and I'll cook a healthy whole30 style meal for my parents and then Dad is helping me with some home-repair stuff and work is piling up at the office but I think it will all be ok. Maybe I'll do some work later this afternoon or maybe I'll go for a walk around a lake instead. healthy feels good.

ok, so one more story about how this lifestyle is just what I do now, and then a slightly annoying exchange with my dr.

1). Have I mentioned that work is crazy right now? yeah? So Thursday night I was getting my stuff ready for Friday morning and I think to myself: I don't really feel like packing lunch. it's too much work. I'll just buy something near the office. decided. but...the meat quality would probably be terrible and it might be cooked in bad oils, so I might as well bring this chicken thigh that is roasted sitting in the fridge. Yeah, and it's tough to get good fat so I'll bring this avocado. hmmm, there is half a fennel bulb here I better use, so sliced that thin, and threw in some spinach and...lets just say I didn't end up buying lunch. 

2) Went to my dr. This is the appointment I tried to make back when my thyroid levels were messed up, but it takes so long to get in to see her I'm basically fine now. so we talked about how I'm fine. and then we talked about my weight. At my last appointment she gave me a goal weight and I took it pretty seriously, and I guess I thought it was a real number based on what she thought would be healthy for me. I hit that number to the tenth of a pound at this appointment. AND, although she was happy with that (said something about how most of her patients talk about wanting to lose weight but it is very rare for someone to actually achieve and maintain it), she immediately set me a new goal weight 6 lbs less. I get the feeling that she will continue to do this until my BMI is 24 or some such.  This annoys me. I told her my trainer doesn't want me to lose any more weight and she looked at me like I had two heads. So I explained that I didn't think BMI was a terrific measure of much and I had a lot of muscle mass and she nodded her head and said "yes, but wouldn't it be great if you lost 6 more lbs?" super great.

• Moderators

Ugh. So. Frustrating.

Congrats on truly changing your life for the better and for hitting a goal you're satisfied with. Continuously lowering the bar will only make you keep striving, never feeling like you've truly accomplished something. Lots of people choose to live this way. I'm so glad you have Max's support in choosing otherwise. Not that you won't keep getting better and stronger and happier and more content with your Whole9 life; part of that way of life simply teaches us there are far better measurements than the scale.

Love the lunch story!

thanks for the support, ladies. I know I am healthy. but I'm sure I would also be healthy weighing 6lbs less, so we'll just see how things go in the next year.

-just got back from a two-day trip (picking up an award for a project I worked on, fun stuff), and I was pretty much at the mercy of other people for food: big tables sharing lots of different things, and I just took what I could have and left the rest but MAN, there wasn't nearly enough food. 6 people shared a smaller portion of veggies than I would eat on my own and they thought that was enough? I had a huge lamb burger last night and I still feel like I'm eating to fill a deficit. It makes me realize how much we use grains as a "filler" and how much more nutrient dense my food is normally. also wine is not my friend. but I knew that.  ;)

• Moderators

Yay for the award, and thanks for sharing that insight about nutrient density and volume of food. Helps put things further into perspective, and I needed to hear it.

Also, it depends entirely on how you lose those six pounds whether you'd be healthy or not. You know this, but I'm not convinced your doctor does. I'm talking physical, mental, spiritual, emotional health here. . . .

Also, it depends entirely on how you lose those six pounds whether you'd be healthy or not. 

you are SO RIGHT about this LadyM. I've thought about that a bit: that while I might be more healthy weighing 6lbs less I might be less so, depending on how I got there...no time to worry about it now, really, just have to get through a couple work deadlines to I can regain balance.

Archived