whole30 supercharged...kinda

missmary

Random day off today (long boring story) so I am biding my time until a 10am appointment with Max. We are testing 1RM for a bunch of stuff today. I'm scared and excited  :unsure:  :blink:

Funny story, though, just now, I found an online recording of a piano piece I'm learning and had barely pushed start when paleo kitty came running up to rub against the laptop and listen. she loves classical piano music. SO CUTE.

ok, 26 minutes until MAX STRENGTH. I might post some results in a bit. results:

1) pullup; nope, but I did 1 with 15% assistance, so a huge improvement from 30% assistance last month

2) deadlift; 1.3x body weight. This stayed the same.

3) bench press; .75x body weight, where I was around .6x body weight last month

SO, my upper body is getting a lot stronger, lower body maintaining. This kinda makes sense considering the tumbling, handstand, etc. Overall, I'm satisfied and Max is happy. He kept taking secret videos (when he should have been spotting me, ah hem) but I made him promise not to post them on Facebook. We have a plan to make me even stronger and I'm excited about that. Maybe someday I'll also be comfortable enough about my appearance to let some video of myself hit the internets  :ph34r: not yet, though.

OH! and edit for the "compliments" list: Another trainer working with a client near us said I was "bad ass." Love that!

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are a BAD ASS! It doesn't get any better thn that. :)

The funniest thing about it, is not an hour later I was getting my picture taken at the DMV and the lady was all "Oooh, you are so pretty!" when she saw how the photo turned out. I mean, is it possible to be both pretty and a badass? I hope so.  :)

The funniest thing about it, is not an hour later I was getting my picture taken at the DMV and the lady was all "Oooh, you are so pretty!" when she saw how the photo turned out. I mean, is it possible to be both pretty and a badass? I hope so.  :)

Hell yes! I call that the best of both worlds! I want to be that badass that nobody sees coming.  ;)

Are you kidding me? Bad ass women are definitely beautiful and sexy. I don't get women envy but when I'm in the Pilates studio I'm definitely checking out the hot bodies. I just wish I had a 20/30's do over s o I could strive to be a radiant bad ass. Unfortunately, for now it just makes me feel old and fluffy. But it makes me work harder!

My drivers license expires this year. Th funny thing is that I weighed 240 when I had the last pic taken. It says 160 because I was visualizing getting there. Unless they renew by mail, my new license will have my first ever accurate weight.

I just wish I had a 20/30's do over s o I could strive to be a radiant bad ass. 

you can totally be a radiant bad ass right now if you want. seriously (I bet you are  :P )!

My drivers license expires this year. Th funny thing is that I weighed 240 when I had the last pic taken. It says 160 because I was visualizing getting there. Unless they renew by mail, my new license will have my first ever accurate weight.

And, yeah, my license that expired was finally right, so I droped 20lbs off the number when I renewed just for consistency  :D

Every word is true. Best dancer in my ballet class is about 180 lb at about 5'3. She can do amazing stuff. Best two salsa partners I've ever danced with were super short skinny dude and giant fluffy guy. Was I ashamed of my first assumptions when they asked me to dance with them? Yes. Lesson learned? Definitely.

Thanks for sharing :wub:  

• Moderators

Loved the article. :wub: Thanks for sharing it! Some of the comments were disconcerting, though they always are at any writing that expresses criticism against mainstream body norms, for women especially.

Unfortunately, I'm chubby and not one of the most talented ones at the barre, but I'm a hell of a lot stronger and have better technique than I did when I was 18. I think the only useful comparisons we can make are to ourselves!

hi everyone. just a small giant update. I'm feeling really really good. energy good. mood good. strong! food and exercise are going well. I scheduled a haircut with a new person at a fancy place as my reward for reaching various goals August first. Funny thing is, even if I don't reach these specific goals I'm getting the haircut. I'm rocking it with or without numerical progress.

A few things: thought i achieved my dream of a cartwheel on Monday night (and went around telling everyone about it like a goof ball all week) then in class on Thursday we realized that my teacher was just watching from the wrong vantage point and my legs are still not quite vertical. I tried at least one hundred more times on Thursday.

Went out to two happy hours this week. Had water (my usual) at one (before tumbling. good excuse), had hard cider at the second. I kind of liked having the cider. It was refreshing and nice to relax and not be weird. I'm not sure if this is a slippery slope, though. What I would LOVE is to have kombucha or some other non-alcoholic but interesting/fancy drink and not have anyone comment but this can't always be achieved.

Bike ride home (after two ciders) was a mess. They put gravel over asphalt streets here sometimes for maintenance and it collects in the bike lane. So, rather than biking through 2-3" of loose gravel, I was biking in the car lane where there is about 1" of loose gravel. Two near misses and one complete wipeout, right as we were leaving the intersection at a stop light. Luckily the car behind me hadn't accellerated yet. They seemed really disturbed and concerned, as did many people on the sidewalk and several other cars who thought I had been hit by the car behind me. nope, just fell all on my own due to slippy gravel and clipped in shoes. Mildly skinned elbow and knee is all, but scary. HRM shows a major peak when that happened. good cardio workout.

Oh! and for the complements file: I have now reached the point (of confidence or body-type, not sure) where I am attractive to random strangers on the bus and on the street--not sure if this is a good thing--Wednesday, 5:45am, random Dude walking with two other guys: "My brother says how you doing?", me: "do you always speak for your brother?" him: "he's shy around pretty girls" doh.

Pretty Girl: love it!

Great on getting so close with the cartwheels. Success is next.

Wonderful idea on the fancy place haircut. I hope they o a good job pampering you and an even better job cutting.

That bike ride sounds frightening. I'm glad you weren't hurt worse with the fall. Are you sore?

Thanks ladies! I AM sore. Just got back from kettlebell class where I had to modify Turkish getups for my elbow and also realized that my whole body is kind of stiff. I think I must have tensed up pretty bad throughout the ride worrying about slipping and falling, so now I'm tight. home spa day today, I think: epsom salt bath, pedicure, etc. that should fix things (no, my toes weren't injured, I just think that might help somehow ;) ).

"Sad eyes that touched my heaaaaart, pretty giiiiirl with a crooked smile" (false singing voice). And pretty toes. What color did you pick?

Recover soon and don't ride a bike after cider, please. This is seriously scary.

P.S. since you've told everyone, you'll have to do the move anyways ;)

"Sad eyes that touched my heaaaaart, pretty giiiiirl with a crooked smile" (false singing voice). And pretty toes. What color did you pick?

Recover soon and don't ride a bike after cider, please. This is seriously scary.

P.S. since you've told everyone, you'll have to do the move anyways ;)

hahaha. I wasn't druuunk. It was just a problem with gravel.

My toes are now navy blue.

AND, of COURSE  I will do a cartwheel eventually. It is only a question of when  :)

-just got back from a long weekend at Tumbling Camp. The owner of my gymnastics gym has a retreat in the woods with a tiny cabin and a big shed full of gymnastics equipment, where the kids teams come for a week to sleep in tents and train and swim in the lake. Adult students and coaches were invited for a long weekend to help set things up for the kids and do some casual tumbling. Turns out it was all coaches and only one adult student (me. yup.) It rained and rained and rained and was pretty cold for most of it, but that didn't matter. I was happy with the food situation (brought everything I needed, super easy and satisfying*). Sleeping in a tent in the woods with access to refrigeration and hot coffee is perfection. There was lots of drinking among the 20-year-old coaches but no real pressure on me to participate (I didn't, at all). Campfires, toes dangling in an icy lake, lots of one-on-one coaching...well, often 3-4 coaches all chiming in to help me  :) . It was really really good. Now to actually nail a cartwheel.  ;) soon.

*this is what I brought, must remember for the next one: 3 bananas, 3 almond butter packets (1oz each), 6oz roast beef, 6oz roast turkey, (2) 1/3lb grass-fed beef burgers, 1/2 dozen hard boiled eggs, two sweet potatoes, roasted and cubed (didn't finish these), a head of broccoli, steamed, red bell pepper, zuchinni, summer squash (those 3 went on the grill), cucumber, avocado, pint of blueberries, small baggie of macadamia nuts,  bar of dairy-free/soy free dark chocolate, 4 big bottles of kombucha and 12-pack of sparkling water to share. Also brought, but didn't touch: can of salmon, can of tuna (both from wild planet), pack of grass-fed beef hot dogs. It was really easy pulling together various combinations of these things at each meal time, no drama, no hunger or issues at all. Probably didn't need all the bananas and almond butter, but they were there and I ate them and I'm not sorry. yay.

999712_10151849938759453_210863843_n.jpg

(mid-way down the trail to the lake)

sweet Nadia, all the coaches are former elite level competitors (retired now at 22 or 23, etc.) so chances for me are slim  :) .  That's ok. Many of them nurse injuries or chronic pain. Hopefully I can do just enough to have fun and get better without going to any extremes. I am grateful that I can learn new things at my advanced age. Excellent brain/body workout.

EDIT: and boo. too much time outdoors in the drizzle or something? I've got a nasty cold. off to bed.

Archived