Don't over think this.

Robin Strathdee

Great post Robin. I take "the rules" very seriously and feel by following them fully, I get the most that I can from the program. I will start prefacing my comments with "what works or doesn't work for me is...." so that maybe it resonates with someone who also does best by being a stickler but does not discourage someone else who needs a little flexibility inside the guidelines to stick with it the entire 30 days. :0)

• Like 17

Well said.

As many of us are at different stages in the journey, what we share on here is what is working for us, and you only learn that by following the rules and paying attention to how you respond. It's amazing how plain your body/mind make it for you if you stop to listen. But you need to start with the rules....

Good luck everyone!

• Like 4

Robin, I'm going to print this out and keep it. You don't have to address every food related issue you have, break every bad habit, and shun every food that gives you comfort to succeed with your Whole30. I love it, love it, love it. thankyou

• Like 29

Thank you for this! I worked a rogue night shift this week (between day 2 and day 3 of my W30) and was having some guilt twinges regarding my every 2 hour egg/meat/coconut milk/veggie 'muffin' - but it allowed me to get through the night without having graham crackers and peanut butter (an ICU staff nutritional staple!). It's not what I do on a normal day, but I survived my shift with my W30 intact so it was a victory. I think we are very hard on ourselves sometimes. I was actually feeling GUILTY about the 'egg muffings' because I felt I was 'snacking'. Then I remembered that we hear a lot about context here. And in that moment (or those 12 hours) I was doing what I had to do to maintain my W30. And I felt better. Yay me!!

• Like 45

Jtandi and wheresanita -

I am SO GLAD to hear that you guys did what you needed to do to make it through those times. That kind of adaptive thinking and stick-to-it-iveness are evidence of the mindset that gets many first-timers (and even some of us vets) through the rocky first stages. Eventually, you'll get things nailed down. You'll understand your context more and more each day, and planning and preparing will become second nature.

Amy, Susan, Sharon, Kirsteen, Renee (hey, how do I get your fancy accent to type on here?!), and smacd -

Thank you for your kind words and for understanding the intent of my post. I really think we've got the best community out there on the interwebs.

• Like 4

Depends on whether you're on a mac or a windows machine. Macs are Option + E + [whichever vowel you want to add the accent to]. On a windows machine it's Alt + 0233.

Not a big deal though. Mox just might be SLIGHTLY detailed oriented, so she made sure to include it when she set up my account. :)

• Like 2

I fear I am in the camp of someone that just wants to see newbies succeed, but also need to learn when the ST*U.

Unless I can find a quote from a mod, I will put myself in time out for now. :huh:

Reneé.

Just doing that because I had to try it :).

• Like 6

Reneé.

Just doing that because I had to try it :).

WRONG E! BANNED!!!!!!!!!!!

and you need to know if you want to write Irish, we have a fada instead of an accent :)

Is Renée cailín álainn :)

The Irish boyfriend just translated that for me ;)

• Like 2

Does anyone know what "occasional fruit" means in the guidelines? I'm on Day 4 and have been searching the forums - but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. The program guideline of "x protein, plus x vegetable" per meal makes sense to me - but does occasional fruit mean: Once per day? Once per week? Twice per week? With all of the talk about the "sugar dragon" I just don't want to overconsume fruit in my Whole30 process. Thanks much! :-D

• Like 4

Thanks so much for the post Robin, and thanks Renee for making it a sticky. I will refer to this post often during my whole 30 (and beyond) Today was a stressful day (work for one) and our deep freeze went on the blink! It had our own farm raised beef/pork, I was nearly in tears when I first discovered it but all is well, got a new freezer on order and mother in law had plenty of room in her freezer for our stuffl

Late this afternoon I was eating some shredded chicken with home made mayo (I was so hungry) and thought Oh crap I'm snacking, but then I realized I had not had lunch because of so many other things going today! I have to remember if I'm truly hungry I need to eat no matter what meal it is. The last couple of days I've been heading into the "over thinking" mode. I was getting annoyed about the mess in my kitchen (looks like a bomb went off) but then I realized I have enough food for several days (meaning I had time for FUN) and I got very happy!

"Don't over think this" and You don't have to address every food related issue you have, break every bad habit, and shun every food that gives you comfort to succeed with your Whole30 is my new motto!

• Like 2

Does anyone know what "occasional fruit" means in the guidelines? I'm on Day 4 and have been searching the forums - but haven't found the answer I'm looking for. The program guideline of "x protein, plus x vegetable" per meal makes sense to me - but does occasional fruit mean: Once per day? Once per week? Twice per week? With all of the talk about the "sugar dragon" I just don't want to overconsume fruit in my Whole30 process. Thanks much! :-D

I am not sure where you read occasional fruit. The book simply states you shouldn't eat it alone and you shouldn't eat so much that it crowds other important items off your plate. Do you have a sugar dragon? I do, so I choose to rarely eat fruit. You don't have to eat any if you don't want to. Many consider one to two servings a day to be reasonable.

• Like 11

1-2 servings of fruit per day is perfectly reasonable :)

• Like 2

this is so great - thank you! i tend to be very all or nothing, but i think I need to temper that tendency to make it through my first w30.

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but it does seem like a newbie-friendly thread. Does anyone know how to get the whole9 blog to show up in google reader? I'm subscribed, but new posts never show in my feed. I'd love to have the posts show up on my daily blog roll to help keep me motivated. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you for this! I worked a rogue night shift this week (between day 2 and day 3 of my W30) and was having some guilt twinges regarding my every 2 hour egg/meat/coconut milk/veggie 'muffin' - but it allowed me to get through the night without having graham crackers and peanut butter (an ICU staff nutritional staple!).

Can I just say that if you are doing Whole30 in a workplace environment where that is a standard snack -- I SALUTE YOU.

• Like 4

Hey Amy,

Unfortunately hospitals are not bastions of healthy eating! I did a clinical rotation at a facility that had a McDonalds! In our busy unit we often do not get a full sit-down lunch break. Many people resort to the 'running to the break room and scoffing a pack of graham crackers an some peanut butter' a few times a day in lieu of a real meal. Hence my victory with my eggy/muffiny things :)

• Like 8

slw600 - Thank you so much! I haven't finished ISWF yet, (I actually had to put it when Oreos were mentioned in detail and I sensed a craving coming on ;-), but I got the "occasional fruit" quote from the Whole 30 "Meal Planning Template." Your note would be a nice addition to that PDF. Thanks again for clarifying! http://whole9life.com/book/ISWF-Meal-Planning-Template.pdf

• Like 1